1-08-07

City Hall

6:00 pm

 

The regular meeting of the Riggins Renewal Agency was called to order by Chairman and Board Member Robert Crump.  Other Board Members present included Tom Anderson, Larry Barnard, Bob Harper and Suzann Underwood.  Member Glenna McClure was absent.  Guests present were Gil Bates and Charlie Amell.

 

Board Members confirmed that they had read the minutes of the previous meeting, and the minutes were approved as presented.

 

There was no financial statement presented, however it was agreed that the Clerk could present a quarterly report of the URD’s accrued payables, for information purposes. These would include the City’s accruing administration or costs associated with the development of the Plan, etc.

 

It was reported that a special meeting had been scheduled for 4:00pm on Wednesday, January 10th, to meet with Judd DeBoer about the development plan for the mill site.

 

DeBoer has indicated a substantial increase in the number of hookups planned for the area, increasing the number from 45 to 200-300, which will have a major impact on both city water and sewer systems. An increase of this size may present a problem with lift stations and the capacity of the sewer lines, and will double the size of the plant.  An adequate water supply was also questioned.  JUB is waiting for more information from DeBoer to include in the sewer facility study.  After discussion, it was suggested that a well and a packaged sewer plant may be considered as an option for the millsite development. 

 

The need for URD to contract with an engineering firm for the water and sewer upgrades was discussed.  The Agency has been advised that they must follow the same requirements of the RFP selection process, as the City.  A Request For Proposal is prepared detailing the projects and URD’s needs.  It is required to be formally advertised, and time allowed for the preparation of the interested engineer’s response.  The URA then conducts interviews with the responding companies and the engineering firm is selected, based on the best qualifications.  URA can then begin negotiation process to contract with the firm, and if an agreement cannot be reached, the firm ranking second in qualifications is contacted.  The procedure takes six to eight weeks and after discussion, motion was made by Barnard, seconded by Underwood, to begin the RFP process to seek an engineering firm for the URD projects relating to sewer, water and streets, and for general purposes, with the proposals submitted for the April meeting.  Voting yea, Anderson, Barnard, Crump, Harper, and Underwood.  No nayes. 

 

The Agency discussed the need for off-street parking, since the development anticipated will eliminate many areas now being used by the community for parking. 

 

The Agency reviewed the sewer project timeline, which anticipates Block Grant submission in November, with construction projected to begin in June 2008.  The Members agreed that this was an aggressive schedule, but would be the goal for the project.  A copy of the projected timeline is attached and made a part of this record.  Much of the timeline depends upon the developer, and the Council will compile questions to review with him at the upcoming meeting scheduled for Wednesday.

 

The need for an additional reimbursement agreement with the City to cover the City’s costs, other than administration, which are being incurred on behalf of the URD.  After discussion, motion was made by Harper, seconded by Barnard, to approve an additional agreement for the reimbursement of the City’s costs, which may be incurred in regards to those items not covered by routine administration.  Voting yea, Anderson, Barnard, Crump, Harper, and Underwood.  No nayes.

 

Gil Bates, from Ida-Lew, visited with the Board about the availability of additional GEM grant funds, up to $50,000 for preliminary engineering and construction costs.  He indicated that he had conferred with Dept of Commerce officials, and they were willing to work with Riggins for the additional $40,000, since they were now reviewing the City’s $10,000 grant request for the sewer facility plan.  It was unclear if the application could be made at this time, since the facility plan is not yet complete, but Bates indicated that now was the time to apply.  Dept of Commerce will be contacted about the additional application.

 

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 7:00pm.

 

 

 

_________________________________       ___________________________________

 

1-10-07

City Hall

4:00pm

 

A special meeting of the Riggins Urban Renewal Agency was called to order by Chairman and Board Member Robert Crump.  Other Board Members present were Tom Anderson, Larry Barnard, Bob Harper, Glenna McClure and Suzann Underwood.  Guests present included Judd Deboer and Brian O’Morrow from Browns Industries, Richelle Barger and Charlie Amell.

 

The purpose of the special meeting was to meet with Browns Industries officials about the proposed development plans for the mill site property. 

 

When asked if a name for the development had been selected, DeBoer said that it had not, and the Board suggested that they consider getting the community involved in helping with the name selection.  There were numerous questions asked by Board Members and guests, to which DeBoer and O’Morrow responded, with lengthy discussion following. Questions concerning the proposed development, included the following:

 

(1)   When will the project be started?  DeBoer indicated that the planning process is the first step, and that takes time.  They are in the planning process now, and want to do something nice for the community.  Preliminary plans include mixed use or residential and retail.

(2)   Will there be job creation?  There will be construction jobs, for at the least 10 years, and they anticipate more than 20 permanent jobs upon project completion.

(3)   Is a Convention Center being planned?  There are plans for a “conference center”, in connection with hotel/motel operation, possibly restaurant and lounge.  They may be looking for a developer for that operation.

(4)   Have the surrounding property owners been contacted about the development? They have visited with them previously, and planned to contact them again about the proposed development.

(5)   Have they considered highway access and parking?  If the Salmon River Road project does not materialize, will the present bridge be adequate for the traffic anticipated?  Has ITD been contacted about the impact of increased turning traffic?  DeBoer indicated that adequate parking will be included for their property, however, the additional parking which will be required for the increased number of cars in town had not been considered.  DeBoer will plan to contact ITD to visit with them about highway access.  It was the general consensus of those attending, that the project may have some influence in getting the new bridge completed as the first step of the Salmon River Road Project.

(6)   Have the involvement (or impact to) other entities, such as the school and medical facilities, been considered?  It was anticipated that the development would indirectly impact these services by the population increase, but no specific plans to include changes to the present facilities had been considered.

(7)   Was sufficient electric service from Idaho Power available?  Since that was unknown, DeBoer will plan to contact Idaho Power about the proposed development. 

(8)   Is a walking path or pedestrian bridge planned to connect the development with Salmon Rapids Lodge?  This type of facility is desired by Browns, and they indicated they would be looking into the costs, etc.  Historical signage about the mill property was suggested and the possibility of installing water and sewer lines on the bridge was brought up.

(9)   Are plans being made to include a White Water Park?  Browns are very interested in the idea, and reported that there are experts in that field available to meet with the City if they desire.  DeBoer indicated that the parks, which are white-water courses set up for kayak competitions, are being constructed in many nearby areas and are becoming increasingly popular.  They envisioned the Little Salmon from the Mill Bridge to the confluence being used, and reported that the tournament events could have a huge impact on the community’s economy.  It was reported that it was possible that a feasibility study would be required because of the river fishery and all the regulating government entities involved.  DeBoer will provide a website for more information on the parks.

(10)     Have conceptual drawings of the proposed development been prepared?  There is nothing done at this time, however they do have some development ideas from a bubble plan prepared by seven architectural teams from the University of Idaho.

(11)     Is there a timeline for construction?  The City needs this information for the infrastructure improvements.  With the increased development plans, which double the size of the sewer system, a separate package plant may be an option , rather than piping to the present treatment plant. The URS reported that the information is critical, also for JUB Engineers, for inclusion in the sewer facility study.  The dramatic increase will also require that the collection system be thoroughly analyzed to assure it’s capabilities in handling the additional flow.  DeBoer indicated that no engineering plans have been created at this time, but they tentatively plan to be under construction by June 2008.

(12)     Will the property be retained under one ownership, or will it be subdivided?  There may be some subdividing in the housing units.  DeBoer was advised of the City Subdivision Regulation and the plan to adopt city street and sidewalk standards.  Copies of those regulations will be provided for their use.

(13)     If it were necessary, would locations for an on-site packaged sewer plant and water well be available?  DeBoer was not opposed to consider it, if necessary.

(14)     Does the property still have water rights that could be used for irrigation purposes?  DeBoer was sure that the filing had not been done in recent years, but agreed that it was something that could be considered.

(15)     Are building heights being considered in their development plans?  There are no formal plans made at this time, and since the City has indicated that this is an important issue for fire protection purposes, they will keep the Council informed of any decisions made concerning higher rise development.

(16)     Will Sub-Developers be used?  DeBoer indicated that some sub-developers may be used for the commercial activities, but Browns Industries would be the main developer of the property

(17)     The Developer was reminded that the URD is only a ten-year plan, so development should begin ASAP to take advantage of the tax increment financing for the infrastructure project.  DeBoer agreed, and was aware of the time restrictions.

(18)     Have the EPA and the State Historical Society been contacted about the proposed development?  Are project delays anticipated in connection with these requirements?  The Salmon Rapids Lodge property has been identified as having historical significance, but the millsite has not yet been assessed.

(19)     With 200-300 units now being planned, can you provide a ratio between residential and commercial?  DeBoer indicated that this information is unknown at this time.

(20)     Is there any requirement for toxic-waste cleanup anticipated?  At this time, only surface cleanup is anticipated.

(21)     Will the history of the mill be preserved in the development?  It was indicated that the lumber and mill operation was significant to the Brown family, as well as to Riggins, and that heritage would be preserved.  It will be incorporated into the design layout being prepared by their engineering architectural firm.

(22)      Can you reveal plans for the first phase of the project?  No at this time, there are no plans yet complete.

(23)     Are facilities such as a play park, cafes, or climbing rock being considered?  DeBoer indicated that the whitewater park and a river path are being considered, but those facilities may require funding assistance through the Block Grant program.

(24)     Why now?  What has prompted this development?  The limited capacity of the sewer plant, and the need for infrastructure improvements made it a timely project.  Also the City’s willingness to work toward those improvements through the Urban Renewal process.

(25)     Have you considered any plans for the 25-year anniversary of the mill fire?  Maybe April 2007 would be a fitting time to unveil the new plans for the property?  DeBoer indicated that no plans had been made to commemorate the anniversary, but that it was something to consider.

(26)     Will affordable housing be included in this development?  That is something that had not been considered, but they were willing to look into that, if not for this site, maybe another location.

(27)     How long will it be until a design layout of the development will be complete showing the number of lots, and types of facilities planned?  Maybe within one year.

(28)     Do phases of the development include residential and commercial mix?  The overall plan includes development of 33 acres, which will be of residential and commercial mix.

(29)     When you anticipate the first hookups to water and sewer service to be requested? Maybe late 2008 at the earliest.

(30)     Do you understand the concept of URA bond financing and its requirements?  The URA has many questions about the procedure, would you be interested in meeting with experts in this field for better education in this matter?  DeBoer indicated that they also had limited knowledge about the process and would be very interested to attend any workshops planned.

 

DeBoer indicated that they wanted their development to be something nice for Riggins.  He appreciated the City’s willingness to work with them and was amazed at how quickly the community acted to accomplish the annexation and urban renewal process.

 

Mayor Crump commended Browns Industries on their plan.  He feels that it will help the community and that it fits with our long-term goals. It will provide job creation, a convention center, housing, maybe a walking path, it will help the school through increase of the tax base and possibly new students.  It goes along with our new resort status and may eventually help attain remaining goals, such as a pharmacy, local radio transmission and golf course. 

 

It was agreed that the URA and Browns will stay in close contact to assist in the development of the infrastructure improvement plans.

 

There being no further business, the special meeting was adjourned.

 

 

 

_____________________________                ______________________________

                        Chairman                                                                     Clerk