RIGGINS CITY COUNCIL
Regular City Council
August 10, 2016 – 6:30 p.m.
held at 6 p.m. on both the Riggins Urban Renewal District and City of Riggins FY2016-2017
budgets. No comments were received.
meeting of the Riggins City Council was called to order by Mayor Glenna
McClure. Councilors present were Wilson and
Miller. Councilors Akins and Friend were
absent resulting in the lack of a quorum.
present included Jesse Webb, John Belton and Clyde
and Mary Lou Hirst.
present: John Pottenger, Jeff Joyce,
- Thank you for the raise
- Four (4) new EMT’s should be on their own by
- Have had issues w/New Meadows ambulance
encroaching on our service area. Janeen
has been communicating with Trudy @ Idaho County Sheriff’s office and the
dispatchers with Adams County
to get this resolved.
- Extrication class is coming soon
- Not having as many frequent flyer calls
- Applying for a grant for books and supplies for
- Idaho PERCS may be changing to a new
program. Change will be voluntary at
- DMR 98% removal/no violations
- Processes are looking better; adding soda ash to
help the bugs
- Wasting differently and it seems to be helping
by diluting solids more
- Presented the BlueWater bid for maintenance on
the head works. Would like the Council’s
input. Maybe get Challenger to bid for
- Alarms have been going off on head works. John took apart and cleaned and they seem to
be working much better.
- We have had a few small fires (tractor-trailer,
powerline @ Irwin
Center, oven element @ Irwin
Center, and car wreck
by Riggins Motel).
- Fire Prevention Week is coming up and he will be
having classes from the grade school visit the Fire Bay.
- Fire Department wants to have the chili cook off
in October for a fundraiser.
- Working with Mac Qualls of New Meadows to get a
Flagging Class put on here in Riggins.
- Received a request from frequent boaters to hose
off the boat ramp. Jeff tried and then
dug a ditch to detour water and rocks from washing back on the ramp, but with
the first rain it filled back in again.
- Wilson asked Jeff if they
could use the fire trucks to water down the Gun Club alleys for training.
- Boar’s Nest Fire— Salmon River Rural Fire
Department had two older men who were left on the fire for 2 hours alone.
- Salmon River Rural Fire Department requested
Jeff help with the Fire Extinguisher Class for the teachers.
- Idaho County Fair asked Jeff to participate in
the Kiss a Pig contest this year.
Water/Streets—Ross Campbell (not present)
- City received about 3 yards of cold mix from the
County. It was used to patch potholes on
Ace’s Place, Orchard
Street and North Riggins.
- Ross, Glen and Ken rebuilt a drying bed at the
- Preparing spots for new bags @ the sewer plant
for the winter.
- Found a handout that is for Thermal Expansion
with diagrams and plumbing code requirements and would like to send this
information out with City bill after a meter with check valve and re-setter are
- Summer Reading Program was successful.
- Gave away over 100 books in Yellow Pine during
Harmonica Festival with Salmon River Public Library stickers attached.
STAGE RENOVATION PROJECT:
John Belton addressed the Council regarding a concert fundraiser at the
park to raise monies for the new Stage Project.
Tentative schedule is Sept. 17th from 4:30-11:30 pm. Gates would open at 3pm. with a cost of $20.00 a ticket; hoping for 700 people at
least and having 2 or 3 bands. Belton
estimates a profit of $14,000 from the event.
Will need 20 security people.
Clyde & Mary Lou Hirst voiced concerns about how money from the
Salmon River Chamber of Commerce will be handled to work on project. Mayor McClure stated all work on project of
any kind needs to be tracked for in-kind on grant.
- Need to make a plan for the project.
- Need to appoint a committee. Possible members include Clyde as Project
Manager with Wayne Hunsucker, Russ Mutchler and Brenda Tilley.
- All monies would be tracked on spreadsheets for
project for grant purposes.
- Sponsors for this event would be: City of Riggins,
Salmon River Chamber of Commerce and Seven Devils.
- John Belton is willing to front the money to get
the fundraiser going and then give all profit to fund.
Manning Crevice Bridge Project: Jesse Webb stated the project is going well
and they will be pouring concrete in a couple weeks. He is willing to make pieces of the bridge
available to the City; will be ready to dismantle in the Fall of 2017. City wants 10 feet of one whole end to put at
the City Park. City will need to provide volunteers and
trucks/trailers to dismantle and haul.
RSCI owns the old bridge and have given it to the crane company to
recycle or dispose of. They are willing
to work with the City to make this possible.
Webb wants to make sure lines of communication stay open between all
parties so we can all be ready when the time comes to dismantle.
Adjourned 8:05 pm.
Susan Hollenbeak, Deputy City Clerk