June 8, 2016 – 6:30 p.m.

City Hall


The regular meeting of the Riggins City Council was called to order by Mayor Glenna McClure.  Councilors present were Wilson and Akins.  Councilors Miller and Friend were absent.

Guests:  Lorry Harper, Jordan Zwygart, Sheriff Doug Giddings

Staff: Ross Campbell, Jeff Joyce, Susan Hollenbeak

MAY MINUTES:  May meeting minutes were presented.  Council members were individually polled and all confirmed they had read the minutes.  As a quorum was not present, minutes could not be approved at this time.

FINANCIAL STATEMENT and BILLS FOR PAYMENT:  The financial statement was read detailing $1,216.60 paid after the May meeting, bringing the total May disbursements to $43,357.95.  Bills in the amount of $37,040.31 were then presented for payment. As a quorum was not present, bills and the financial statement could not be approved at this time.  

ORCHARD LANE – Lorry Harper:  Mrs. Harper addressed the Council regarding the Caudle property on Orchard Lane presenting a letter signed by seven neighbors detailing their complaints citing a lack of maintenance, potential fire hazard with tall grass, weeds and dead trees and requesting the problem be addressed.  Mrs. Harper expressed her concern about snakes on said property, and the lack of water available on the property since it has been shut off.  The clerk advised that she has been in contact with the property owner who indicated he anticipates selling the property mid-June.  It was requested that the Clerk contact the owner and get a firm commitment on how he plans to address the complaints.

AUDIT:  Jordan Zwygart distributed the FY15 Audit Report which he reviewed with the Council.  Jordan also offered to make a presentation at a future meeting regarding the Resort Tax, and the issues facing the Sewer fund in the future.  The Mayor will entertain a motion to approve the FY14-15 Audit Report at the July meeting.

FY16 AUDIT CONTRACT:  Tabled until the June 13th Special Meeting.

SHERIFF’S DEPARTMENT:  Sheriff Doug Giddings presented a report for May showing 18 calls and 10 citations in the city, and 81 calls with 18 citations in the area.  Sheriff Giddings also reviewed the department overtime policy of paying time and a half up to 10 hours.  He also stated there have been $36,000 in contract cuts to his department, and that the amount of money the City of Riggins pays in the contract makes no difference when it comes to coverage in Riggins.  When asked about enforcing city ordinances, he stated it was the department obligation. 


WASTEWATER – Ross reported in John’s absence

Tablet machine pump has been replaced; have ordered a backup.

DEQ’s Biosolids Program Consultant will be in town for a visit later this month; Nicholas Heibert with DEQ will also be visiting.

WATER/STREET/PARK – Ross Campbell:

Stokes property is now in compliance with RV connection regulations.

Two water meters have been replaced.

Have switched the toolboxes, etc. to the new pickup; Mike will be driving the Chevrolet now. 

Need to declare the 1976 pickup surplus at the July meeting.

ITD painted crosswalks in town as a courtesy; ITD staff advised there is a new law prohibiting crosswalks on state highways.  Akins suggested implementing crossing flags at crosswalks; discussed the number of distracted drivers going through the city.

North Riggins potholes have been filled.

Requests have been made to Salmon Rapids Lodge to trim trees on Well Street with no response.  The Clerk will draft a letter to formalize the request.

Headgate motor for the ditch has been replaced.

Gravel has been put down behind Cattlemen’s and at the Treatment Plant.

Some of the trees at the park will need to be cut; some trees are suffering with the canopy; will need to remove some of the tree starts coming up.

Street lights need to be addressed at Seven Devils, the empty lot and Riverview Motel.  Clerk will contact Idaho Power.

WATER METER REPLACEMENTS:  The City Attorney, Adam Green, joined the meeting via telephone at this time.  Reviewed the issue revolving around City workers replacing existing equipment with meters that have a resetter and check valve, and requiring the customer to install a thermal expansion tank.  Agreed that customers will be educated on the requirements prior to replacing their meter, which will allow them to be prepared for the installation and be in compliance.  The City’s Public Works staff will need to see that a ballcock valve or thermal expansion tank has been installed before turning on the water.  Ross will inspect properties that have new meters already installed and determine if property is out of compliance and will report his findings back to the Council. 

LIBRARY – Susan Hollenbeak

Summer Reading starts June 28th and will be held every Tuesday in July.

The backpacks received as part of the grant were distributed along with books to elementary students.

The ongoing book sale has been a success.


EMS – new EMT class has started.

IRRIGATION ASSESSMENT – School District:  tabled until the June 13th Special Meeting.

MUNICIPAL CODE 7-2-3(B) – FIREWORKS:  tabled until the June 13th Special Meeting.

CEDA PROPOSAL – Comprehensive Plan Development and Economic Training in FY18:  tabled until the June 13th Special Meeting.

RESORT TAX:  Discussed feedback from the public information meeting held earlier this evening.   It was decided that another Public Information Meeting be held in July.  Will be discussed further at the June 13th Special Meeting.

RAPID RIVER WATER & SEWER DISTRICT APPLICATION FOR FEDERAL ASSISTANCE:  The Council reviewed the project which involves amending the partially completed Drinking Water Facility Plan and Environmental Information document.  The revision will address fire flow and water demand requirements and outline water system improvement alternatives that will consist of a new reservoir location and size, and new well, new water mains, and fire hydrant locations.  The estimated cost of this project is $42,000 ($21,000 from USDA-RD, $10,500 from Rapid River District and another $10,500 from State of Idaho DEQ).  The USDA-Rural Development has requested the City review and comment on the proposal.  It was agreed the project has no adverse effects; Clerk will document and forward the Council’s response accordingly.



PAST DUE WSG BILLING:  Council reviewed.


JESSE TRAVIS – Irrigation:  requested a waiver on irrigation billing stating he hasn’t had access to the ditch since the neighboring property owner removed the water lines to the ditch when construction was done and refused to allow the lines to be replaced.  Request tabled until June 13th Special Meeting.

LAKE SHORE DISPOSAL – BOWEN:  Request from Manager at Lake Shore regarding damage Bowen’s suffered as a result of hydraulic hose breakage on the Lake Shore truck; requested two months residential service be credited to Bowen and deducted from Lake Shore payment.


PARK – September 10-11, 2016 from Kirk Brower for a picnic.

RCC – June 25, 2016 from Jonny Hinton for Jungert funeral.

MILL SITE – INTEREST EXPRESSED:  Akins reported on the training two members of the Dive Team received through Swiftwater Safety Institute on swiftwater rescue, and that we now have an instructor on our Dive Team which will allow more divers to be certified.  Swiftwater Safety Institute provides training to professional rescue agencies, commercial guides and private river runners throughout the lower 48 and Alaska.  The staff of SSI expressed interest in the old mill site indicating it would be a perfect location for a year-round training facility. 

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 9:50 p.m.

Respectfully Submitted,

Brenda Tilley

City Clerk-Treasurer