RIGGINS CITY COUNCIL

SPECIAL MEETING

March 1, 2018 – 6:00 p.m.

City Hall

This special meeting of the Riggins City Council was called to order by Mayor Glenna McClure.  Councilors present were Akins, Wilson, Friend and Miller.  The purpose of the meeting is to review the Opportunity Zone application and ITD Curb Ramp application – both have a deadline of 3/2/18.

Guests:  Bill Lenhart

Staff: Dan Wash

IDAHO TRANSPORTATION DEPARTMENT – A.D.A. CURB RAMP APPLICATION

The program provides funding for projects to address curb ramps on the state highway system.  ITD is allocating $500,000 of state funds annually; applicants can qualify for up to $60,000 to construct new or alter existing curb ramps to meet ADA (Americans with Disability Act) requirements.  Construction must be completed within 2 years from the execution of the agreement.  Payment is divided into two parts – the State will pay 75% of the amount upon initial written request with the remaining 25% paid upon completion of project to the State’s satisfaction.  In addition, the Applicant’s project manager is required to attend a curb ramp instruction class provided by ITD.  

Council reviewed the documentation on ITD’s ADA Curb Ramp application and inventory list of all curb ramps in the city.  There are 19 ramps that are noncompliant with Medium priority.  Motion was made by Wilson to approve the application; seconded by Akins.  Voting yea, Akins, Wilson, Friend and Miller.  No nays; motion carried.

OPPORTUNITY ZONE DESIGNATION APPLICATION

As a follow-up from the February City Council meeting, the Council reviewed the specific questions on the 2018 Application for Opportunity Zone Designation.  After discussion, motion was made by Friend to proceed with applying for Opportunity Zone Designation; seconded by Wilson.  Voting yea, Friend, Miller, Wilson and Akins.  No nays; motion carried.

DEER MANAGEMENT PROGRAM – INCIDENT 2/24/18

Miller reported that over 400 pounds of deer burger were distributed earlier this week, and that 20 deer were harvested as specified by the Idaho Fish & Game Kill Permit. 

Miller also reported that two deer were shot on February 24th; one of these deer jumped the fence by the baseball backstop and went up the hill a short distance.  The shooter crossed the fence and retrieved the dead deer.  A man nearby began screaming and threatening and called Idaho Fish & Game.  The caretaker of Joe Scott’s property, Nolan, was contacted and has since painted the fence posts.  It is Miller’s understanding that Idaho Fish & Game is investigating the incident for possible trespass.  Clerk has contacted Adam Green, City Attorney, who indicates the investigation must be completed first.  Mayor McClure stated she will draft a letter to Mr. Scott explaining the City’s Deer Management program, and to clarify that no hunting is being done on his property.

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 6:40 p.m.

Respectfully Submitted,

Brenda Tilley, City Clerk-Treasurer